Wednesday, December 15, 2010

life is sorrow... overcome it.

So I know that for most people, the loss of a pet is nothing more than a part of life. But for my family, when pets are part of the family, it's completely different. Tonight, I arrived home at 11:30 PM and I saw that my Dads truck was gone. That could only mean a few things. First, it meant that my Dad had an accident and was at the hospital, or that he got into a car accident, or that something was wrong with the dogs. Come to find out that it was the last one. I walk into the house asking where the truck is and that is when I find out. Chloe, my golden retriever and Sadie, my pit bull have been put to sleep. Automatically I burst into tears. I should give some back story about this subject before I go on.

First is Chloe. When I was about 8 years old, I wanted a dog more than anything in the world. I begged my Mom for months and months to get me one. Our next door neighbors, the Chesley's had a puppy that I would go over at play with everyday that I possibly could. I loved this puppy with everything that I had. I would take her toys, bones, even would sneak her some treats. :) This dog started fighting with the other dogs living at the Chesley's and so they decided to give her to us. I remember this day as one of the most exciting days of my childhood. I was so excited for her to actually be able to sleep in my room with me, for me to take her on walks whenever I wanted to and to love her as my own. Over the years, as i've grown up and as she has as well, I haven't been able to pay as much attention to her as I did when I was 8. Her hair had grown to be more white than gold, she was having a harder time even walking up stairs, much less running. I knew her time was coming soon, but I thought I had a good two years left with her. I was wrong.
Chloe and I :)
I love this picture. My cute parents and my cute pup :)

Next, is Sadie. When my brother Ramie moved to California last year, him and his roommate bought an adorable chocolate colored pit pull as a puppy. She was young, strong, excited, and happy. Everything a puppy should be. When it was time for Ramie to move home, my mom and I went to pick him up and drive him back to utah. He decided that it would be best to bring Sadie with him back to Utah. On the long drive home, sadie just wanted to be up in the front seat with whoever was driving. She was busy looking out the windshield at all of the cars and scenery. I remember falling in love with that puppy the moment I saw her. When she first got to our house, we were worried about how the other two dogs, Chloe and Harley would do with her here. Turns out it was just fine at first. Then Sadie started chewing EVERYTHING up. Couch cushions, shoes, pants, shirts, everything. I swear that she was a goat stuck in a dogs body. 

That's sadie jumping on me :)
Sadie and Harley jumping on my mom :)

So here is where the sad stuff starts. Sadie hadn't shown any signs of her aggressive behavior until about two weeks ago. One day Sadie and Chloe were by each other and apparently Sadie got too close, so Chloe growled at her. The next thing I know, Sadie has latched onto Chloe's ear with a death grip and refuses to let go. At this point my Dad is on one side trying to pull said off and my Mom is on the other trying to protect Chloe. No matter what they try to do, Sadie wouldn't let go. Finally, my sister Kallie had to spray Sadie with mase so she would let go of Chloe. After this incident, I was scared to even let Sadie and Chloe near one another. However, they both acted like nothing had happened, so we figured it would be fine. Everything was fine, until today. From out of no where Sadie attacked Chloe again. This time it was a lot worse. She really got her teeth into Chloe's ear, and she was in a lot more pain that the previous time. I knew that she wouldn't be as lucky the second time around, and she wasn't. My sister took both of the dogs to my cousins husband, Jess who is a vet, and the verdict was the same for both dogs. For Sadie, she needed to be put down because she would start attacking every dog she saw that looked like chloe to in a way "finish the job," and for Chloe she was in too much pain to live a happy life. However hard this may be on my family, I know that this was all for the best. We lost two important members of our family, but they were an awesome addition to our family that we will never forget.
I love you Chloe Grant Randle and Sadie Ramie Randle :)

(yes my pups had full names, don't judge us. haha)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry, sweetie! I got to meet Chloe a few times and she was such a sweetheart. Tough decisions to make but you did what was best for both of them.

    ReplyDelete